JOB SUMMARY: Administrative Assistant to Referral Service Center (RSC) has primary responsibility to answer all phone calls to RSC. Provide assistance to RSC clinical staff, proactively, in all areas as needed to ensure the receipt of all patient referral information and the overall efficiency of the department.
REPORTS TO: Referral Service Center Manager
- High School Graduate
- Healthcare-related office experience
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of VNA mission, philosophy, policies and programs
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Advanced computer skills
- Typing proficiency
- Experience with health care terminology
- Knowledge of insurance authorization processes
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answer all calls to RSC-no call is to go to voice mail. Coordinates with other RSC personnel to assure coverage of phones.
- Consults with physicians, nurses and other disciplines to obtain referral information and provides feedback to facility personnel.
- Enter all preliminary patient referral information (HHS, Hospice, CC) into computerized “point of care” system as needed.
- Obtain initial visit Insurance authorizations, as needed.
- Create referral for Hospice Services form, as required by Medicare and CHAP, and route to Hospice Manager.
- Compile RSC information for Weekly Dashboard.
- When RSC is notified that a patient is hospitalized or in an inpatient facility, FAX to hospital or other facility a notification that patient is known to VNA of Somerset Hills. Also follow up with a telephone call to the hospital or facility and speak to the patient’s care manager to begin discharge planning and the process of referral to VNA services.
- Communicates with internal departments and external customers regarding initial patient visits to ensure positive customer satisfaction.
- Prioritizes assignments, accessing guidance as needed from the manager.
- Carries out the mission, vision and pillars of the organization.
- Prints documents as per department process.
- Obtain NPI and PECOS information for new referral source/MD’s and enters appropriately into computerized system.
- Archive/organize all Prospects (“Referrals Not Seen”) into Medical Records Office.
- Maintain/organize department supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Specific Equipment Used: Telephone, computer, printer, photocopier, fax machine
Physical demands: Sitting, fine motor hand movement
Communication demands: Verbal, written
Reading, Mathematics, Vision: reading, mathematics, vision
Other job characteristics: Client/customer contact