JOB SUMMARY: Provide ostomy care education to the clinical nursing staff and patients. Serve as a consultant to the clinical nursing staff in managing ostomy/wound care patients through home visits, joint visits, video, and case conferencing.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a college or university accredited by the National League for Nursing.
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of New Jersey
- Certification in CWOCN – Certified Wound Ostomy Continence Nurse, CWON – Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse, or COCN – Certified Ostomy Care Nurse
- Computer literacy
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill in current nursing practice.
- Knowledge of good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to accept and utilize supervision.
- Unique body of knowledge relative to nursing care of persons with select disorders of the gastrointestinal and genitourinary systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote and maintain health of individuals, families and the community through teaching, counseling, and appropriate preventive and rehabilitative measures.
- Assesses physiologic, environmental, and psychosocial needs of the client and, family in relation to their ostomy/wound needs.
- Develops care plans to meet the individual needs of the patient and family.
- Carries out ostomy/wound treatment to patients in their homes.
- Follows policies and procedures for clinical documentation.
- Record observations, treatments given, and other significant information.
- Identifies needs, and plans appropriate teaching strategies for patients and families.
- Assess patients’ needs for ostomy/wound supplies and order as needed.
- Develops and uses functional network systems within the community that allow for the greatest client services.
- Collaborates with the physician regarding assessment findings as needed and recommendations to establish the plan of care for the patient.
- Collaborates and communicates assessment findings, plan of care and any needed follow up to internal team members involved in the patient’s plan of care.
- Adheres to agency infection control practices.
- Adheres to the policies of the Visiting Nurse Association of Somerset Hills.
- Other duties as assigned.
-Utilizes knowledge of ostomy/wound clinical best practices when developing the plan of care and delivering care to the patient and family.
-Incorporates the expressed, as well as the assessed needs of the client and family in the ostomy/wound care plan.
-Maintain accurate records at all times
-Documents response to teaching succinctly and objectively.
-Teaching content is safe, ethical and in accordance with VNASH guidelines/policies, VNAA procedure manual, & NJ RN practice.
-Links patients with resources, as needed.
– Interpret extent and limitations of service available and collaborate with patient and family on any limitations and to assist in referring to other appropriate community resources or care settings. Communicate to the physician any limitations and education/suggestions given to patient and family.