On Call Nurse – Per Diem
The VNA of Somerset Hills has a long and respected tradition of delivering personalized, compassionate, and community-focused healthcare. Since 1904, we have been providing home health, hospice, adult day and community wellness services to Morris and Somerset County residents. Our nonprofit home care agency is certified by Medicare, accredited by the Community Health Accreditation Program (CHAP) and licensed by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. Quality credentials include national recognition as a 2016 HomeCare Elite® Agency.
JOB SUMMARY: As an On Call Nurse, you will be responsible for responding to patient/family phone calls and making visits as indicated during off hours of the weekday and weekend (4:30 pm to 8:30am Monday thru Thursday; Friday 4:30pm to Monday 8:30am). You would respond to the needs of Hospice patients, patients with catheters and other patients requiring 24-hour availability. The On Call Nurse may also need to make unplanned but medically necessary skilled visits to established patients when needed, or unplanned admissions.
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a college or university accredited by the National League for Nursing is preferred or Graduation from an accredited school of nursing
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of New Jersey or has license pending as indicated by a permission to work letter from the New Jersey State Board of Nursing
- Current New Jersey Drivers’ License
- A minimum of two years’ experience in Home Care or Hospice Nursing
- I.V. certification is required
- Comprehensive knowledge and skill in current nursing practice
- Knowledge of hospice philosophy and practice
- Excellent communication and judgment skills to enhance telephone triage
- Phlebotomy certification is preferred
- Basic computer skills
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote and maintain health of individuals, families and the community through teaching, counseling and appropriate preventative and rehabilitative measures
- Demonstrate, teach and supervise care to patients and families
- Respond to all calls within a maximum timeframe of 15 minutes
- Participate in On-Call Holiday coverage and weekend coverage
- Consult about individual or family health problems with the Administrative Call Nurse, and other professionals, such as physicians, dieticians, social workers and therapists
- Promote continuity of patient care by planning and exchanging information with physicians and other health and social agencies
- Participate on Hospice Team and in other team meetings, including presentation of cases, as needed
The VNA of Somerset Hills offers competitive compensation, interdisciplinary teamwork and a supportive work environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.