JOB SUMMARY: Speech/Language Pathologist (SLP) performs treatment for patients of VNA Home Health Services / VNA Hospice Care, and VNA Community Health Services as prescribed by their physicians.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Rehabilitation Services
- Current license to practice Speech Therapy in the State of New Jersey
- Current New Jersey Drivers License
- Minimum 2 years satisfactory work experience in Speech Therapy
- Prior homecare experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current speech therapy principles and practices
- Knowledge/application of modalities and techniques used in speech therapy and full knowledge of their effects
- Knowledge of human anatomy/physiology and effect of treatment procedure on body function and structure
- Knowledge of disease process, causative factors, and value of speech therapy intervention in its relief
- Knowledge of safety and infection control procedures and Universal Precautions
- Knowledge of Medicare and 3rd party payor rules/regulations for home care
- Basic knowledge of the OASIS form, OASIS function and OASIS scoring
- Basic computer skills and competent with digital tablet
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attends and completes the orientation program provided by the Agency.
- Maintains standards as set by ASHA regarding treatment procedures, professional ethics and standards of practice.
- Administer speech, language, cognitive and swallow therapy services per M.D. orders:
- Provide services in the categories of:
- Provide referrals to ancillary support disciplines (MSW, Registered Dietitians, etc.)
- Participate in staff meetings and attend mandatory inservice educational programs.
- Maintain adequate records and document treatment per Medicare/Payor guidelines.
- Responsible for OASIS scoring accuracy and ongoing OASIS education.
- Follow proper safety and infection control procedures.
- Coordinate with patient/family to schedule speech therapy visits; keeping them informed of any changes that may occur. Keep therapist rescheduling to a minimum.
- Therapists are not permitted to make any arrangements with a patient where you will provide services on a private basis. The individuals for whom you provide services are clients of the Agency, and options do exist for private payment to the Agency.
- Therapists will coordinate time off with the Rehab Manager and/or Director of Professional Services to ensure adequate coverage for therapy services.
- Demonstrate flexibility with willingness to travel to the various geographical locations of our patients, and help to cover patients for vacationing therapists.
- Perform duties within the established policies of the VNA of Somerset Hills and all associated regulatory agents/agencies such as CHAP, OIG, OSHA, State, etc.
- Accept and perform other duties as assigned.
a. Responds to physicians for confirmation, clarification or elaboration of treatment orders.
b. Recommends/Implements changes in treatment plan with MD approval and signature; based upon the patient’s response to therapy.
a. Speech, language, cognitive therapy evaluation and swallow function assessment.
b. Patient care planning and the establishment of treatment goals.
c. Implementation of treatment program to relieve pain, develop or restore function, and maintain maximum performance.
d. Provides appropriate discharge planning and refers to appropriate resources if indicated.
e. Provides patient/family/caregiver education to include a relevant home program with instruction to patient, family, and assistive personnel.
f. Utilize therapeutic modalities that are available for the home treatment setting.
g. Instruct patient/family/caregiver in techniques that optimize speech, language, cognitive and swallow function.
h. Direct and assist patient in home activity program; therapeutic exercise, muscle re-education, safe-swallow strategies and strict adherence to diet texture and fluid viscosity recommendations.
i. Inservice training to patients/families/caregivers and the community at large.
j. Referral for FEES or MBS studies with Rehab Manager approval.